Letters to kate and Jack, 2nd July 1918

July 2th/1918
32507/ 9th Batt Y & L
C Coy 12 Platoon
L.G.S.
I.E.F.
Dear Kate
I have received your letter and the papers with the writing pad. I was very pleased with it. I have had a letter from Ethel and she says they are getting on alright at home. The weather here is very unsettled and we get plenty of rain. You were right when you say we have been busy out here just lately but I am pleased to say I am going on alright and in good health and I hope to keep so. I am pleased to here that Jack is getting on alright I had a letter from him last week. I hope Annie does not leave home and goto work, well I think she would be better at home. I think she might be able to find a bit of work to suit her in time. Write as often as you can and let me know how they are all getting on.
With best Love
Harry


July 2th/1918
32507/ 9th Batt Y & L
C Coy 12 Platoon
L.G.S.
I.E.F.
Dear Jack
Just a line to let me know that I am alright and in good health. The weather here is very unsettled and we got plenty of rain.I hope you received my last letter in the green envelope. Let me know if you have. I am pleased to hear they are going on alright at home and keeping in good health. I think Annie is worrying herself about getting work but I don't think she as any need to both. (bother? BL). You will be glad to hear that Willie is getting a fine lad. I had a letter from Mr Leverton telling me about him. I will write a soon and let you know a bit more news. Hoping that you are both keeping in good health.
With Best Love to you both.
Harry
(P.S) Send a paper or two

A scan of a "green envelope". These were treasured by the troops as the letters inside weren't censored in their own unit. It meant that personal material that might be embarrassing could be included. BL

(Click on the image to enlarge)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

The envelope is a fascinating artifact to examine. It seems ironic to me that it's postmarked--a sign of complete normality in a crazy time.

Anonymous said...

thanks..nice pictures